Author : Nidhi Pandey 1
Date of Publication :23rd November 2021
Abstract: The globe has now reached a position where Renewable Energy sources like wind, solar, etc., have a more significant role in light of the alarming rate of global warming. However, integrating renewable energy sources into the primary grid is a challenging task, with "Fault Ride Through disturbances" being one of the major issues. A Synchronous Motor Generator Pair (MGP) system can be used to ride through a fault, and it also improves inertia and network stability. This paper presents a PSO-tuned FOPID controller for the MGP system to maintain the grid voltage in the Low and High Voltage FRT scenarios in a system comprising a wind energy conversion system (WECS) and solar system. The performance of the proposed controller is then simulated and compared with the performance of the conventional PI controller. The simulation results establish the superior performance of the proposed controller in terms of settling time and peak overshoot. Further, the effect of using the Dynamic Voltage Restorer (DVR) has also been examined
- Z. Liu, Electric Power and Energy in China. Beijing, China: China Electric Power Press, 2012.
- Testing Rules for Fault Voltage Ride-through Capability of Wind Turbine Generators, China Standard GB/T 36995, 2018
- L. Ran, D. Xiang, P. Tavner, and S. Yang, "Control of a doubly fed induction generator in a wind turbine during grid fault ride-through," in Proc. IEEE Power Eng. Soc. Gen. Meeting, Jun. 2006, p. 1,
- Z. Xie, X. Zhang, X. Zhang, S. Yang, and L. Wang, "Improved ride-through control of DFIG during grid voltage swell," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 3584–3594, Jun. 2015,
- S. Hu, X. Lin, Y. Kang, and X. Zou, "An improved lowvoltage ride through control strategy of doubly fed induction generator during grid faults," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 26, no.
- R. Zhu, Z. Chen, X. Wu, and F. Deng, "Virtual damping flux-based LVRT control for DFIG-based wind turbine," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 714– 725, Jun. 2015,
- C. Abbey and G. Joos, "Supercapacitor energy storage for wind energy applications," IEEE Trans. Ind Appl., vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 769–776, 2007,
- A. M. A. Haidar, K. M. Muttaqi, and M. T. Hagh, "A coordinated control approach for DC link and rotor crowbars to improve fault ride-through of DFIG-based wind turbine," IEEE Trans. Ind Appl., vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 4073–4086, Jul. 2017
- Y. Xiangwu, G. Venkataramanan, W. Yang, D. Qing, and Z. Bo, "Grid fault tolerant operation of a DFIG wind turbine generator using a passive resistance network," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 2896– 2905, Oct. 2011
- H.-P. Beck and R. Hesse, "Virtual synchronous machine," in 9th International Conference on Electrical Power Quality and Utilization (EPQU), IEEE, 2007, pp. 1–6.
- L. Holdsworth, J. B. Ekanayake, and N. Jenkins, "Power system frequency response from fixed speed and doubly fed induction generator based wind turbines" Wind Energy, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 21–35, Jan. 2004.
- Q. C. Zhong and G. Weiss, "Synchronverters: Inverters that mimic synchronous generators," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 1259–1267, Apr. 2011.
- A. Dheeraj and A. Sikander, "Fuzzy Logic Based Control of Voltage and Transient Stability in a DC Microgrid," 2021 2nd International Conference for Emerging Technology (INCET), 2021, pp. 1-6.
- S. Wei, Y. Zhou, G. Xu, and Y. Huang, "Motor-generator pair: A novel solution to provide inertia and damping for power system with high penetration of renewable energy," IET Generat. Transmiss. Distrib., vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 1839– 1847, 2017.
- S. Wei, Y. Zhou, S. Li, and Y. Huang, "A possible configuration with motor-generator pair for renewable energy integration," CSEE J. Power Energy Syst., vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 93–100, 2017.
- Y. Zhou, G. Xu and Y. Huang, "Experiment Analysis on Motor-Generator Pair System for Providing Inertia of Renewable Energy," 2018 21st International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), 2018, pp. 1041-1045
- Y. Gu, Y. Huang, Q. Wu, C. Li, H. Zhao and Y. Zhan, "Isolation and Protection of the Motor-Generator Pair System for Fault Ride-Through of Renewable Energy Generation Systems," in IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 13251- 13258, 2020
- R. V. Jain, M. V. Aware and A. S. Junghare, "Tuning of Fractional Order PID controller using particle swarm optimization technique for DC motor speed control," 2016 IEEE 1st International Conference on Power Electronics, Intelligent Control and Energy Systems (ICPEICES), 2016, pp. 1-4