Author : Baishali Bhattacharjee 1
Date of Publication :7th December 2016
Abstract: With the demand for high power inverter unit, multilevel inverter has been attracting extensive attention from academic as well as industry.The significant advantages of multilevel configuration are voltage sharing both statically and dynamically, and hence the quality of output voltage improves with the number of voltage steps with less harmonic contents.Though multilevel inverter has several advantages, it has drawbacks like for higher levels more number of semiconductor switches are needed which leads to huge size and high cost of the inverter. This paper deals with a novel seven level cascaded multilevel inverter.This topology reduces the complexity and overall size of the system which in turn reduces the harmonics and cost of the entire system.A seven level inverter simulation is carried with the implementation of PWM techniques.The effectiveness of the proposed inverter is adequately validated by softwaresimulation.Further comparison of the proposed topology with the existing topologies exemplifies the efficiency of the proposed topology.
- P.Thongprasri “A 5 level 3 phase cascaded hybrid multilevel”, International Journal of Computer and Electrical Engineering (Volume 3 No.6 Dec 2015).
- M. Kavitha,A. Arunkumar , N. Gokulnath , S. Arun ”New Cascaded H-Bridge Multilevel Inverter Topology with Reduced Number of Switches and Sources” Volume 2, Issue 6 (Sep-Oct. 2012).  A. Nabae, T. Isao, and A Hirofumi, "A New NeutralPoint-Clamped PWM Inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Applicat., vol. IA-17, No.5. pp. 518-523, 1981.
- T. A. Meynard and H. Foch, "Multi-level conversion: high voltage choppers and voltage-source inverters," in 23rd Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 397-403, 1992.
- P. W. Hammond, "A new approach to enhance power quality for medium voltage AC drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Applicat., vol. 33, pp. 202-208, 1997.
- Brendan Peter McGrath, and Donald Grahame Holmes, “Multicarrier PWM Strategies for Multilevel Inverters”, IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 49, No. 4, Aug. 2002.
- Andreas Nordvall, “Multilevel Inverter Topology Survey”, Master of Science Thesis in Electric Power Engineering, Department of Energy and Environment, Chalmers University of Technology, Goteberg, Sweden, 2011
- Ian F. Crowley, and Ho Fong Leung, “PWM Techniques: A Pure Sine Wave Inverter”, Major Qualifying Project, Department of Electronics and Communication, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Massachusetts, USA, 2011.