Author : Abhijeet AP 1
Date of Publication :7th February 2017
Abstract: Present work deals with the comparison of mechanical and metallurgical characteristics developed in EN-9 steel specimens subjected to heating at recrystallization temperature followed by subsequent cooling in oil, water and air. Heating of EN-9 steel specimens is carried out using microwave radiation as well as conventional heating technique. Characterization of post heat treated specimens is carried out using universal testing machine, hardness tester, optical microscope and scanning electron microscope. Microwave heated specimens exhibit better mechanical properties compared to that of conventionally heated specimens. Further, it is observed that recrystallization temperature in microwave heating was achieved in 15 minutes whereas in conventional heating the same was achieved in 136 minutes with higher power consumption. The work establishes the basis for potential of heating bulk materials, which is eco-friendly and significantly fast.
- Osepchuk, John. M., (1984). A history of microwave heating applications. IEEETransactions on MW Theory and Techniques, MIT, 32(9), 1200-1224.
- Clark, D.E., Sutton, W.H., (1996). Microwave processing of materials. Annu Rev Mater Sci., 26, 299-331.
- Brosnan, Kristen. H., Messing, Gary. L., Agarwal, Dinesh. K., Microwave sintering of alumina at 2.45GHz. J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 86 , 1307-12, 2003.
- Menezes, R. R., Kiminami, R.H.G.A., Microwave sintering of alumina-zirconia nanocomposites. J. Mat. Proc. Tech., 203 (2008) 513–517.
- Mondal A., Agrawal D.K.,Upadhyaya A., (2008), Microwave heating of pure Copper powder with different particle size and porosity. I st Global Cong MW Ener Appl Japan, 517-520.
- Rodiger K, Dreyer K, Gerdes T, Willert Porada M. Microwave Sintering of Hardmetals. Int J Refract Met Hard Mater16 (1998) 409–16.
- Padmavathi, C., Agrawal, D., and Upadhayaya, A., Microwave sintering of aluminium alloys, I st Global Cong MW Ener Appl August, Japan, (2008), 153-58.
- Leonelli, C., Veronesi, P., Denti, L., Gatto, A., Iuliano, L., Microwave assisted sintering of green metal parts. J. Mater Proc. Tech., 205 (2008) 489–496.