Author : Srinivas STP 1
Date of Publication :7th March 2017
Abstract: Utilization of Renewable Energy Resources (RES) at the consumer neighbourhood resulted in self reliable power system operation.Distributed Generation (DG) supported distribution systems can be operated intact with the main grid or can be operated independently. Such a system can be termed as a microgrid. The feasibility of microgrid operation make its protection more complex. One of the profound challenges faced by the power engineers in designing a working microgrid system is relay coordination. Directional overcurrent relays (DOCRs) are economical and feasible protective means in subtransmission and meshed distribution system.However, in the microgrid scenario, the relay coordination problem becomes a complex issue due to varied system operation viz. grid connected and islanded modes. This paper suggests a solution to relay coordination problem in microgrids by using dual setting overcurrent relays. Unlike conventional DOCRs which rely on two settings TMS and PS only in forward direction, dual setting DOCRs operate in accordance to four relay setting of TMS and PS both in forward and reverse directions, thus provide more flexible relay settings. This work presents such a problem which is formulated as a nonlinear constrained optimization problem and solved using hybrid GANLP approach.
- R.H. Lasseter , “Microgrids“, Power Eng. Soc. winter meeting, IEEE, 2002,Vol.1, pp.305-308.
- P. P. Bedekar, Bhide, S.R., Kale, V.S., , “Optimum time coordination of overcurrent relays in distribution system using Big-M (penalty) method“, WSEAS Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 4, pp. 341-350, 2009.
- P. P. Bedekar, Bhide, S.R., Kale, V.S., , “Optimum coordination of overcurrent relays in distribution system using dual simplex method“,2009 2nd International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering and Technology, ICETET 2009, pp. 555-559.
- P. P. Bedekar, Bhide, S.R., Kale, V.S., , “Determining optimum TMS and PS of overcurrent relays using linear programming technique“,ECTICON 2011-8th Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI) Association of Thailand Conference, 2011, pp. 700-703
- P. P. Bedekar, Bhide, S.R., Kale, V.S., , “Optimum time coordination of overcurrent relays using two phase simplex method“,World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 52, pp. 1110-1114, 2009.
- J. Gholinezhad, Mazlumi, K., Farhang, P. , “Overcurrent relay coordination using MINLP technique“,2011 19th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering, ICEE 2011.