Author : Shivakumar S Y 1
Date of Publication :30th November 2017
Abstract: This paper discusses the detailed design aspects and modelling of a magnetostrictive actuator contained coaxial coils surrounding the Terfenol-D rod. Experiments were conducted on this actuator by varying step input under zero pre-stress and pre-stress conditions. The results indicate a better performance of the actuator at each point of excitation when step input is biased to coil 1 instead of varying the step input equally to coaxial coils. The calculation of the magnetic field strength from the actuator coils considers inductance of driving coils. Energy based Jiles-Atherton model is used to predict the magnetization and the quadratic magnetostriction model is improved by considering the quality factor in addition to other parameters that affect the output of an actuator. The output, displacement of Terfenol-D rod, obtained with the proposed magnetostriction model was found to have an average deviation of 6 % with respect to experimental results.
- Anjanappa, M and Bi, J. 1994. “A theoretical and experimental study of magnetostrictive miniactuators.” Smart Materials and Structures, 3: 83-91.
- Brauer, J. R. 2006. “Magnetic actuators and sensors,” A John Wiley & Sons Inc., Publication, Hoboken, New Jersey.
- BS6722, 1986. “Recommendations for dimensions of ferrous & non-ferrous metallic materials in wire form,” British Standards Institution, ISBN: 0 580 15358 4.
- Calkins, F. T., Smith, R. C. and Flatau, A. B. 2000. “Energy based hysteresis model for magnetostrictive transducers,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 36(2): 429-439.
- Calkins, F.T., Flatau, A.B. and Dapino, M.J. 2007. “Overview of magnetostrictive sensor technology.” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 18: 1057-1066.
- Carman, G.P. and Mitrovic, M. 1995. “Non-linear constitutive relations for magnetostrictive materials with applications to 1-D problems.” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 6: 673- 683.
- Claeyssen, F., Lhermet, N., Letty, R.L. and Bouchilloux, P. 1997. “Actuators, transducers and motors based on giant magnetostrictive materials.” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 258: 61-73.