Author : Marripati Kiran Kumar 1
Date of Publication :30th November 2017
Abstract: With the increasing popularity of electric vehicles, there is an urgent demand to shorten the charging time, so the development of high-power charging stations with fast chargers is necessary to alleviate range anxiety for drivers. The charging station based on the neutral-point-clamped (NPC) converter can bring many merits, but it has unbalanced power problems in the bipolar dc bus. To solve this issue, comprehensive dc power balance management (PBM) in conjunction with high-power three-level dc-dc converter based fast charger is proposed in this paper. The active dc power balance management (APBM) is proposed to assist the central NPC converter in balancing power so that the additional balancing circuit is eliminated; while the passive dc power balance management (PPBM) is proposed to eliminate the fluctuating neutral-point currents and to ensure the balanced operation of fast chargers. The principles of APBM and PPBM are researched, the efficient integration between them is studied, and the overall control scheme for the fast charger is proposed. The power balance limits of APBM are explored, while the circulating currents of PPBM are analyzed. Simulation and experimental results are presented to verify the effectiveness of the proposed fast charger with PBM functions.
- Environmental benefits of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles: The case of Alberta,” in Proc. IEEE Power Energy Soc. Gen. Meet., 2009, pp. 1–6.
- J. F. K. Morrow and D. Karner, “Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle charging infrastructure review,” Battelle Energy Alliance, Idaho Falls, ID, USA, Tech. Rep. 58517, 2008.
- A. S. C. Botsford, “Fast charging versus slow charging pros and cons for the new age of electric vehicles,” in Proc. 24th Elect. Vehicle Symp., 2009, pp. 1–9.
- L. Dickerman and J. Harrison, “A new car, a new grid,” IEEE Power Energy Mag., vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 55–61, Mar./Apr. 2010.
- B. Sanzhong and S. M. Lukic, “Unified active filter and energy storage system for an MW electric vehicle charging station,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 5793–5803, Dec. 2013.
- S. Rivera, B. Wu, S. Kouro, V. Yaramasu, and J. Wang, “Electric vehicle charging station using a neutral point clamped converter with bipolar DC bus,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., 2014. DOI: 10.1109/TIE.2014.2348937
- B. Wu, High-Power Converters and AC Drives. New York, NY, USA: Wiley, 2006.
- S.Kouro, M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Pou, L. G. Franquelo,W. Bin, J. Rodriguez, M. A. Perez, and J. I. Leon, “Recent advances and industrial applications of multilevel converters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 2553–2580, Aug. 2010.
- N. Celanovic and D. Boroyevich, “Acomprehensive study of neutral-point voltage balancing problem in three-level neutral-point-clamped voltage source PWM inverters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 242–249, Mar. 2000.