Author : Dr. MD Shahrukh Adnan Khan 1
Date of Publication :10th December 2017
Abstract: In this paper, performance of RZ (Return to Zero On-Off Keying) modulation was investigated in WDM (Wavelength Division Multiplexing) based Single Mode Fibre (SMF). The simulation was done by the Industrial Software OptSIM for 40GBit/s. Three different length of Single Mode Fibre (90 km, 180 km, 270 km) were chosen for 4 and 16 channel WDM and the length of Dispersion Compensated Fibre was fixed accordingly. For each number of channel, fibre span was varied in accordance with the lengths mentioned above. The BER (Bit Error Rate) was estimated for the best as well as the for the worst channel scenario. Analysing „4 Channel WDM‟ simulation, rapid increase of BER was observed for “RZ-OOK” as it increased from 10-9 to 10-8. “RZ-OOK” continued to show poor result as its BER was ranged from 10-6 to 10-4 for 16 channel. Therefore, it was concluded that for long haul transmission in SMF, RZ showed moderate performance both in 8 and 16 Channel WDM
- Gerd Keiser, Optical Fibre Communications, 3rd Edition, Singapore: McGraw-Hill, 2000, ISBN 0-07- 232101-6
- Amin Malekmohammadi, A. F. Abas, M. K. Abdullah, G. A. Mahdiraji, M. Mokhtar, M. Fadlee.A. Rasid, “Absolute Polar Duty Cycle Division Multiplexing Technique over Wave Length Division Multiplexing system”, Optics Communications, vol 282, PP. 4233-4241 (2009).
- A. Malekmohammadi, M. K. Abdullah, A. F. Abas, G. A. Mahdiraji, M. Mokhtar, “Analysis of RZ-OOK over Absolute Polar Duty Cycle Division Multiplexing in Dispersive Transmission Medium”, IET Optoelectron. Vol. 3, no.4, pp. 197-206, 2009.
- W. Idler, A. Klekamp, R. Dischler, J. Lazaro, A. Konczykowska, System performance and tolerances of 43-Gb/s ASK and DPSK modulation formats, in: Proceedings of the ECOC, 2003, Rimini, Italy, 2003. (paper Th2.6.3).
- P. Winzer, R. Essiambre, Advance modulation formats for high-capacity optical transport networks, J. Lightwave Technol. 24 (2006) 4711–4728.
- X. Zheng, F. Liu, P. Jeppesen, Receiver optimization for 40-Gb/s optical duobinary signal, IEEE Photonic Technol. Lett. 13 (2001) 744–746.
- L. Christen, S.R. Nuccio, X. Wu., A.E. Willner, Polarization-Based 43 Gb/s RZDQPSK Receiver Design Employing a Single Delay-Line Interferometer, in: Proceedings Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, CLEO 2007, Baltimore, 2007, pp.1–2
- Dr. Ilya Lyubomirsky, Advanced modulation format for ultra-dense wavelength division multiplexing, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521