Author : Sachin A. Boke 1
Date of Publication :26th April 2018
Abstract: In process automation industry, operator interface is usually a Human Machine Interface Unit (HMI) which plays a significant role in creating a friendly visual environment between the user and the technology. It is considered to be the window to the automation control system. Controlling through finger touch has replaced the use of hammers and manual switches enormously. With the increasing application of HMIs in industry, a good number of software tools are being introduced and the competitiveness in designing HMI displays is increasing tremendously. This project focuses on various important aspects in designing HMI displays to meet the quality criteria such as ease and seamlessness in user understanding, efficiency of learning the HMI design software tools and satisfaction of the operators to control large systems. These aspects consist of issues with screen layout, color representation, graphics and pictures, text and data values, alarms, navigation, control and so on. The scope of this project is to gain knowledge about how to implement as much application in one limited display monitor, by multiple numbers of pages in a graphical hierarchy. This is needed to provide an operator with clear visual understandings of process operations with both moderate and complex applications. This project also consists of appropriate guidelines for designing an HMI unit in a most efficient way. As an example, we have designed an HMI unit intended to control a water bottle filling plant through Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) systems.
- Jessie Y. C. Chen, Michael J. Barnes, and Michelle Harper-Sciarini ―Supervisory Control of Multiple Robots: Human-Performance Issues and User-Interface Design‖ IEEERANSACTIONS ON SYSTEMS, MAN, AND CYBERNETICS—PART C: APPLICATIONS AND REVIEWS, VOL. 41, NO. 4, JULY 2011.
- Alexander D. Greer, Perry M. Newhook, and Garnette R. Sutherland ―Human Machine Interface for Robotic Surgery and Stereotaxy‖ IEEE/ASME TRANSACTIONS ON MECHATRONICS, VOL. 13, NO. 3, JUNE 2008.
- Qianqian Jia, Xiaojin Huang, Liangju Zhang ―A design of human machine interface for the two-modular hightemperature gas-cooled reactor nuclear power plant‖ Progress in Nuclear Energy 77 (2014) 336-343 Science Direct.
- Francesca De Crescenzio, Giuseppe Frau, ―Design of Virtual Reality based HMIs (Human Machine Interfaces) of Complex Systems‖ 20th Annual IEEE International Conference and Workshops on the Engineering of Computer Based Systems (ECBS) 978-0-7695-4991-0/2013 IEEE.
- He Yang, Li Kejian, Cai Qizhong ―Design of ARM-based human-machine interface of plastic injection blow molding machine‖ 2010 International Conference on Computer Application and System Modeling (ICCASM 2010) 978-1- 4244-7237-6/10/201 0 IEEE.