Author : Deepak Saw 1
Date of Publication :22nd May 2018
Abstract: This paper proposes an efficient and cost-effective Brushless dc motor fed water pumping system for solar photovoltaic (PV) array. A zeta converter is utilized to draw the maximum power available from the Solar PV array. BLDC motor does not require any additional circuitry for speed control. Variable dc link voltage of voltage source inverter (VSI) is utilized to control the speed. The proposed technique comply fundamental switching frequency of VSI, results in the reduction of power loss due to high switching frequency. A suitable control of zeta converter through INC-MPPT (incremental conductance maximum power point tracking) algorithm provides smooth starting of the BLDC motor. The water pumping system is developed and demonstrated through simulation using MATLAB/Simulink.
- M. Uno and A. Kukita, “Single-Switch Voltage Equalizer Using Multistacked Buck #x2013;Boost Converters for Partially Shaded Photovoltaic Modules,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 3091–3105, 2015.
- S. Satapathy, K. M. Dash, and B. C. Babu, “Variable step size MPPT algorithm for photo voltaic array using zeta converter - A comparative analysis,” 2013 Students Conf. Eng. Syst. SCES 2013, 2013.
- R. Kumar and B. Singh, “BLDC Motor-Driven Solar PV Array-Fed Water Pumping System Employing Zeta Converter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 2315–2322, 2016.
- A. Shahin, A. Payman, J. P. Martin, S. Pierfederici, and F. Meibody-Tabar, “Approximate novel loss formulae estimation for optimization of power controller of DC/DC converter,” IECON Proc. (Industrial Electron. Conf., pp. 373–378, 2010.
- M. Villalva, J. Gazoli, and E. Filho, “Comprehensive Approach to Modeling and Simulation of Photovoltaic Arrays,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1198–1208, 2009.
- B. Singh and V. Bist, “Power quality improvements in a zeta converter for brushless DC motor drives,” IET Sci. Meas. Technol., vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 351–361, 2015.