Author : Fatima Jabeen 1
Date of Publication :23rd November 2021
Abstract: This paper proposes a highly efficient Electric Vehicle Charging Station (EVCS) to generate the power for charging the Electric Vehicle (EV). The EVCS uses renewable energy sources such as solar Photo Voltaic (PV) and Doubly Fed Induction Generator (DFIG) based Wind Turbine (WT) system. The objective of this paper is to provide sustainable power for the electric vehicle and to maintain the dc link voltage constant for DC busbar at various irradiation conditions. The proposed system consists of solar PV array, DFIG based WT system, AC grid and Hybrid Energy Storage System (HESS) connected to a common DC busbar. The HESS consists of a Lithium-ion battery and a Supercapacitor (SC) which are connected to the bidirectional DC-DC converters. There are other Unidirectional DC-DC converters (Boost, Buck) connected to the solar PV array, Diode Bridge Rectifier (DBR) and to the EV Battery. Initially the power generated from the solar PV and DFIG based WT system is used to feed the electric vehicle and also charges the HESS, when the PV and DFIG based WT system could not supply enough power to charge the EV, then the power from the HESS is utilized. To support the load demand and to maintain the dc link voltage at 500 Volts during low irradiation conditions, the ac grid is connected in parallel to the WT-DFIG followed by the Diode Bridge Rectifier (DBR). The system performance is compared with and without using DFIG based WT system using MATLAB-Simulink software. The obtained results show that the proposed renewable charging mechanism is suitable for EV charging thus creating pollution free environment.
- Porselvi, T., et al. "Solar Pv Fed Electric Vehicle Charging System With Hybrid Energy Storage System." 2019 International Conference on Computation of Power, Energy, Information and Communication (ICCPEIC). IEEE, 2019.
- B. Preetha Yesheswini, S. Jai Iswarya, B. Amani, P. Prakash and M. R. Sindhu, "Solar PV Charging Station for Electric Vehicles," 2020 International Conference for Emerging Technology (INCET), 2020, pp. 1-7, doi: 10.1109/INCET49848.2020.9154187.
- Pareek, Surbhi, et al. "Electric vehicle charging station challenges and opportunities: A future perspective." 2020 International Conference on Emerging Trends in Communication, Control and Computing (ICONC3). IEEE, 2020.
- Rajesh, Ka, A. D. Kulkarni, and T. Ananthapadmanabha. "Modeling and simulation of solar PV and DFIG based wind hybrid system." Procedia Technology 21 (2015): 667-675.
- Tani, Abdallah, Mamadou Baïlo Camara, and Brayima Dakyo. "Energy management in the decentralized generation systems based on renewable energy— Ultracapacitors and battery to compensate the wind/load power fluctuations." IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 51.2 (2014): 1817-1827.
- Jamshidpour, Ehsan, Shahrokh Saadate, and Philippe Poure. "Energy management and control of a stand-alone photovoltaic/ultra capacitor/battery microgrid." 2015 IEEE Jordan Conference on Applied Electrical Engineering and Computing Technologies (AEECT). IEEE, 2015.
- M.A. Asha Rani, C. Nagamani, G. Saravana Ilango, ―A versatile method for computation of power pulsations in DFIG under grid imperfections,‖ Renewable Energy, vol.88, pp. 143-153, Apr.2016. J. Clerk Maxwell, A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, 3rd ed., vol. 2. Oxford: Clarendon, 1892, pp.68–73.
- Touaiti, Bilel, Hechmi ben Azza, and Mohamed Jemli. "Control scheme of stand-alone doubly fed induction generator for DC voltage applications." 2018 9th International Renewable Energy Congress (IREC). IEEE, 2018.
- Sertkaya, Melek Gulatik, et al. "Comparison of power and energy density after full shunting-balancing in serial connected lithium-ion batteries and serial-connected supercapacitors." 2015 3rd International Renewable and Sustainable Energy Conference (IRSEC). IEEE, 2015.
- Sinha, Smita, Avinash K. Sinha, and Prabodh Bajpai. "Analysis of hybrid storage system in DC microgrid." 2016 21st Century Energy Needs-Materials, Systems and Applications (ICTFCEN). IEEE, 2016.
- Satif, A., et al. "Simulation and analysis of a pv system with p and o mppt algorithm using a pi controller for buck converter." ARPN journal of engineering and applied sciences 13.9 (2018): 3014-3022.
- Bhatti, Abdul Rauf, et al. "A critical review of electric vehicle charging using solar photovoltaic." International Journal of Energy Research 40.4 (2016): 439-461
- Patel, UmaShankar, Dhaneshwari Sahu, and Deepkiran Tirkey. "Maximum power point tracking using perturb & observe algorithm and compare with another algorithm." International Journal of Digital Application & Contemporary research 2.2 (2013).
- Bouharchouche, A., et al. "Modeling and control of a Doubly fed induction generator with batterysupercapacitor hybrid energy storage for wind power applications." 4th International Conference on Power Engineering, Energy and Electrical Drives. IEEE, 2013.
- Etxeberria, Aitor, et al. "Comparison of three topologies and controls of a hybrid energy storage system for microgrids." Energy Conversion and Management 54.1 (2012): 113-121.
- Jing, Wenlong, et al. "Battery-supercapacitor hybrid energy storage system in standalone DC microgrids: areview." IET Renewable Power Generation 11.4 (2017): 461-469..