Author : J. Bhavani 1
Date of Publication :25th April 2022
Abstract: In this paper, a novel control technique i.e., Single-loop Adaptive Control (SA) for DC-DC buck converters is proposed. Initially, the nominal system of the DC-DC buck converter without considering the parametric uncertainties is built to develop the SA. Adaptive and back stepping control approaches are used to build the proposed technique. The proposed control strategy is analyzed for load variations and also for change in reference voltages. The advantages and disadvantages of the proposed control strategy are compared, analyzed and a conclusion is drawn
- E. Hernández-Márquez et al., “Robust tracking controller for a DC/DC buck-boost converter–inverter–DC motor system,” Energies, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 2500–2515, 2018.
- J. I. Leon, S. Vazquez, and L. G. Franquelo, “Multilevel converters: Control and modulation techniques for their operation and industrial applications,” Proc. IEEE, vol. 105, no. 11, pp. 2066–2081, Nov. 2017.
- M. K. Kazimierczuk, Pulse-Width Modulated DC-DC Power Converters. Hoboken, NJ, USA: Wiley, 2015.  S. Bacha, (Advanced Textbooks in Control and Signal Processing). New York, NY, USA: Springer, 2014.
- S.-C. Tan, Y. M. Lai, M. K. H. Cheung, and C. K. Tse, “On the practical design of a sliding mode voltage controlled buck converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 425–437, Mar. 2005.
- K. J. Åström and T. Hägglund, PID Controllers: Theory, Design, and Tuning. Triangle Park, NC, USA: Instrument Society of America Research, 1995.
- S. Li, J. Yang, W.-H. Chen, and X. Chen, Disturbance Observer-Based Control: Methods Application. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 2016.
- L. Dixon, “Average current mode control of switching power supplies,” in Unitrode Power Supply Design Seminar Handbook. Merrimack, NH, USA: Unitrode Corp., 1990
- M. Corless and G. Leitmann, “Continuous state feedback guaranteeing uniform ultimate boundedness for uncertain dynamic systems,” IEEE Trans. Autom. Control, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1139–1144, Oct. 1981.
- K. Hyeon Kim, J. Kim, H. Jun Kim, S. Hee Han, and H. Jung Kim, “A megahertz switching DC/DC converter using FeBN thin film inductor,” IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 3162–3164, Sep. 2002.
- J. Sha, D. Xu, Y. Chen, J. Xu, and B. W. Williams, “A peak-capacitor current pulse-train-controlled buck converter with fast transient response and a wide load range,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 1528–1538, Mar. 2016.
- A. N. Vargas, L. P. Sampaio, L. Acho, L. Zhang, and J. B. R. do Val, “Optimal control of DC-DC buck converter via linear systems with inaccessible Markovian jumping modes,” IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol., vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1820–1827, Sep. 2016.
- R. Ling, D. Maksimovic, and R. Leyva, “Second-order sliding-mode controlled synchronous buck DC–DC converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 2539–2549, Mar. 2016.  F. L. Luo and H. Ye, Advanced DC/DC Converters. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 2016
- Y. Zhao, W. Qiao, and D. Ha, “A sliding-mode duty-ratio controller for DC/DC buck converters with constant power loads,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 1448–1458, Mar. 2014.
- H.-H. Park and G.-H. Cho, “A DC–DC converter for a fully integrated PID compensator with a single capacitor,” IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II, Exp. Briefs, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 629– 633, Aug. 2014.
- V. S. C. Raviraj and P. C. Sen, “Comparative study of proportional integral, sliding mode, and fuzzy logic controllers for power converters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 518–524, May 1997
- Y. Huangfu, S. Zhuo, A. K. Rathore, E. Breaz, B. Nahid-Mobarakeh, and F. Gao, “Super-twisting differentiator-based high order sliding mode voltage control design for DC-DC buck converters,” Energies, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 494–511, 2016.
- V. Utkin, “Sliding mode control of DC/DC converters,” J. Franklin Inst., vol. 350, no. 8, pp. 2146–2165, Oct. 2013
- Y. Yin, J. Liu, S. Vazquez, L. Wu, and L. G. Franquelo, “Disturbance observer based second order sliding mode control for DC-DC buck converters,” in Proc. 43rd Annu. Conf. IEEE Ind. Electron. Soc., Oct. 2017, pp. 7117–7122.
- F. Giri, O. El Maguiri, H. El Fadil, and F. Z. Chaoui, “Nonlinear adaptive output feedback control of series resonant DC–DC converters,” Control Eng. Pract., vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1238–1251, Oct. 2011.
- Y. Cheng, H. Du, C. Yang, Z. Wang, J. Wang, and Y. He, “Fast adaptive finite-time voltage regulation control algorithm for a buck converter system,” IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II, Exp. Briefs, vol. 64, no. 9, pp. 1082–1086, Sep. 2017.
- C. Elmas, O. Deperlioglu, and H. H. Sayan, “Adaptive fuzzy logic controller for DC–DC converters,” Expert Syst. Appl., vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 1540–1548, 2009.