Author : M.S.Priyadarshini 1
Date of Publication :7th October 2015
Abstract: The aim of this paper is to present modeling of power quality disturbances based on parametric equations. Parametric equations are considered for transients, short-duration voltage variations, harmonics, voltage sag with harmonics, voltage swell with harmonics, voltage fluctuations, and voltage flicker. The short-duration voltage variations include voltage interruption, voltage sag and voltage swell for a short period. The classification of power quality disturbances is based upon the magnitude of the disturbance and duration of occurrence. The power quality disturbances results in reduction of stability of the power system. So there is a necessity for proper evaluation of power quality disturbances. Power quality solutions along with required monitoring equipment are chosen by evaluating the type of power quality disturbances. The effect of power quality disturbances can be reduced only after their identification by providing an accurate analysis. The modeling of power quality disturbances performs an important role in power quality evaluation. Any of the signal processing techniques can be applied for extracting useful information from the signals. Waveforms for transients, interruption, sag, swell, harmonics, voltage sag with harmonics, voltage swell with harmonics, voltage fluctuations, and voltage flicker are generated using a suitable code based on parametric equations in MATLAB environment.
- The IEEE standard dictionary of electrical and electronics terms, 6th ed., IEEE Std. 100-1996.
- Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), Part 4, Section 30: Power quality measurement methods, IEC 61000-4- 30.
- IEEE Recommended Practice for Monitoring Electric Power Quality, IEEE Standard 1159-1995, June 1995
- M. H. J. Bollen, Understanding Power Quality Problems—Voltage Sags and Interruptions: IEEE Press, New York, 2000.
- Z.Q.,Wang, S.Z., Zhou, Y. J., Guo, ”Comparisons on Ways of Magnitude Characterization of Power Quality Disturbances,” Proceedings of IEEE Large Engineering Systems Conference on Power Engineering, pp. 178-183, 2002.
- Rodney H.G. Tan and V.K. Ramachandramurthy, “ Numerical Model Framework of Power Quality events,” European Journal of Scientific Research, vol. 43 no.1, pp.30-47, 2010.
- J. Seymour, “The seven types of power quality problems” white paper 18, Revision 1, Schneider Electric White Paper Library 2011.
- Bhim Singh, D. T. Shahani and Raj Kumar,” Recognition of Power Quality Events using DT-DWT Based Complex Wavelet Transform,” Proceedings of Fifth IEEE Power India Conference, pp.1-4, 2012.
- D. Choudhury, Characrterization of power quality disturbances using signal processing and soft computing techniques, thesis. NIT Rourkela, 2013.
- Cheng-I Chen, Yeong-Chin Chen, Yung-Ruei Chang and Yih-Der Lee,” An Accurate Solution Procedure for Calculation of Voltage Flicker Components,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 5, May 2014.
- Irene Yu-Hua Gu and Emmanouil Styva Ktakis, “Bridge The Gap: Signal Processing For Power Quality Applications”, Electrical Power Systems Research 66, pp.83-96,2003.
- D. G. Lieberman, R. J. R. Troncosco, R. A. O. Rios and A. G. Perez, “Techniques and Methodologies for Power Quality Analysis and Disturbances Classification in Power Systems: A Review”, IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution 2010.