Author : Y. Nagendra 1
Date of Publication :7th August 2016
Abstract: This paper presents a transformer less static synchronous compensator (STATCOM) system based on multilevel Hbridge converter with star configuration. This proposed control method devote themselves not only to the current loop control but also to the dc capacitor voltage control. With regards to the current loop control, a nonlinear controller based on the passivitybased control (PBC) theory is used in this cascaded structure STATCOM for the first time. As to the dc capacitor voltage control, overall voltage control is realized by adopting a proportional resonant controller. Clustered balancing control is obtained by using an active disturbances rejection controller. Individual balancing control is achieved by shifting the modulation wave vertically which can be easily implemented in a field-programmable gate array. Two actual H-bridge cascaded STATCOMs rated at 10 kV 2 MVA are constructed and a series of verification tests are executed. The experimental results prove that H-bridge cascaded STATCOM with the proposed control methods has excellent dynamic performance and strong robustness. The dc capacitor voltage can be maintained at the given value effectively. Index TermsActive disturbances rejection controller (ADRC), H-bridge cascaded, passivity-based control (PBC), proportional resonant (PR) controller, shifting modulation wave, static synchronous compensator (STATCOM)
- B. Gultekin and M. Ermis, “Cascaded multilevel converter-based transmission STATCOM: System design methodology and development of a 12 kV ±12 MVAr power stage,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 4930–4950, Nov. 2013.
- B. Gultekin, C. O. Gerc¸ek, T. Atalik, M. Deniz, N. Bic¸er, M. Ermis, K. Kose, C. Ermis, E. Koc¸, I. C¸ adirci, A. Ac¸ik, Y. Akkaya, H. Toygar, and S. Bideci, “Design and implementation of a 154-kV±50-Mvar transmission STATCOM based on 21-level cascaded multilevel converter,” IEEETrans. Ind. Appl., vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 1030– 1045, May/Jun. 2012.
- S. Kouro, M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, L. G. Franquelo, J. Pou, J. Rodriguez, B.Wu,M. A. Perez, and J. I. Leon, “Recent advances and industrial applications of multilevel converters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 2553–2580, Aug. 2010.
- F. Z. Peng, J.-S. Lai, J. W. McKeever, and J. VanCoevering, “A multilevel voltage-source inverter with separateDCsources for static var generation,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 1130–1138, Sep./Oct. 1996.
- Y. S. Lai and F. S. Shyu, “Topology for hybrid multilevel inverter,” Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng.—Elect. Power Appl., vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 449–458, Nov.2002.