Author : P Nandhini 1
Date of Publication :7th August 2016
Abstract: This paper deals with the method used to improve the speed quality and the efficiency of BLDC motor drive by implementing fuzzy based controller with power factor modification technique. A Buck Half-Bridge DC -DC converter is used as a single-stage power-factor-correction converter for a permanent magnet brushless dc motor (PMBLDCM) fed all the way through diode bridge rectifier from a single-phase ac mains. This reduced the power quality problems and improve the power factor at input ac mains. A three-phase voltage-source inverter is used as an electronic commutator which switches the PMBLDCM drive. The concept of voltage control at the dc link comparative to the desired speed of the PMBLDCM is used to control the speed of the compressor. The stator current of the PMBLDCM during step change of the reference speed is controlled within the specified limits by an addition of a rate limiter in the reference DC link voltage. The proposed power factor converter topology is designed, modeled and its performance is evaluated in Matlab-Simulink environment for an air conditioner driven through a PMBLDC motor. The results illustrate an improved power quality and good power factor in wide speed range of the drive.
- T. Kenjo and S. Nagamori, Permanent Magnet Brushless DC Motors, Clarendon Press, oxford, 1985.
- T. J. Sokira and W. Jaffe, Brushless DC Motors: Electronic Commutation and Control, Tab Books USA, 1989.
- J. R. Hendershort and T. J. E. Miller, Design of Brushless Permanent- Magnet Motors, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1994.
- J. F. Gieras and M. Wing, Permanent Magnet Motor Technology – Design and Application, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 2002.  Limits for Harmonic Current Emissions (Equipment input current ≤16 A per phase), International Standard IEC 61000-3- 2, 2000.
- B. Singh, B. N. Singh, A. Chandra, K. Al-Haddad, A. Pandey and D. P. Kothari, “A review of single-phase improved power quality AC-DC converters,” IEEE Trans. Industrial Electron., vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 962 – 981, oct. 2003.
- N. Mohan, T. M. Undeland and W. P. Robbins, “Power Electronics: Converters, Applications and Design,” John Wiley, USA, 1995.
- A. I. Pressman, Switching Power Supply Design, McGraw Hill, New York, 1998.