Author : Midhun Mathew John 1
Date of Publication :7th August 2016
Abstract: In this a new bridgeless isolated power factor correction (PFC)-based Cuk converter-fed brushless dc (BLDC) motor drive is introduced for power factor correction and reduction in total harmonic distortion of input current. Dc link voltage of the voltage source inverter (VSI) feeding the BLDC motor is varied for speed control. This allows the operation of VSI in fundamental frequency switching to achieve an electronic commutation of the BLDC motor for reduced switching losses. A bridgeless configuration of an isolated Cuk converter is derived for the elimination of the front-end diode bridge rectifier to reduce conduction losses in it. The proposed PFC-based bridgeless isolated Cuk converter is designed to operate in discontinuous inductor current mode to achieve an inherent PFC at the ac mains. The proposed system is simulated in MATLAB using PI controller and implemented to achieve unity power factor at the ac mains. An improved power quality is also achieved at ac mains with power quality indices within the limits of international standards.
- V. Bist and B. Singh,” A Unity Power Factor Bridgeless Isolated Cuk Converter-Fed Brushless DC Motor Drive “ Proc. IEEE, vol. 97, no. 11, pp. 1773–1789, Jul. 2015.
- T. Gopalarathnam and H. A. Toliyat, “A new topology for unipolar brushless dc motor drive with high powerfactor,”IEEETrans. PowerElectron., vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1397–1404, Nov. 2003.
- A. Barkley, D. Michaud, E. Santi, A. Monti, and D. Patterson, “Single stage brushless dc motor drive with high input powerfactor for single phase applications,” in Proc. 37th IEEE PESC, Jun. 18–22, 2006
- V. Bist and B. Singh, “An adjustable speed PFC bridgeless buck-boost converter fed BLDC motor drive,” IEEE Tran. Ind. Electron., vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 2665–2677, Jun. 2014
- V. Bist and B. Singh, “A reduced sensor PFC BL-Zeta converter based VSI fed BLDC motor drive,” Elect. Power Syst. Res., vol. 98, pp. 11–18, May 2013.
- V. Bist and B. Singh, “PFC Cuk converter fed BLDC motor drive,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 871–887, Feb. 2015.
- B. Singh et al., “A review of single-phase improved power quality acdc converters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 962–981, Oct. 2003