Author : G.Venkatesh 1
Date of Publication :7th August 2016
Abstract: the placement, integration, and control of unified power quality conditioner (UPQC) in distributed generation (DG)- based grid connected/autonomous micro-grid/ micro generation (?G) system has been presented here. The DG converters (with storage) and the shunt part of the UPQC Active Power Filter (APFsh) is placed at the Point of Common Coupling (PCC). The series part of the UPQC (APFse) is connected before the PCC and in series with the grid. The dc link can also be integrated with the storage system. An intelligent islanding detection and reconnection technique (IR) are introduced in the UPQC as a secondary control. Hence, it is termed as UPQC?G?IR. The advantages of the proposed UPQC?G?IR over the normal UPQC are to compensate voltage interruption in addition to voltage sag/swell, harmonic, and reactive power compensation in the interconnected mode. During the interconnected and islanded mode, DG converter with storage will supply the active power only and the shunt part of the UPQC will compensate the reactive and harmonic power of the load. It also offers the DG converter to remain connected during the voltage disturbance including phase jump.
- S. K. Khadem, M. Basu, and M. F. Conlon, ―UPQC for power quality improvement in DG integrated smart grid network—A review,‖ Int. J. Emerg. Electr. Power Syst., vol. 13, no. 1, p. 3, 2012.
- A. Kahrobaeian and Y.-R. Mohamed, ―Interactive distributed generation interface for flexible micro-grid operation in smart distribution systems,‖ IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 295–305, Apr. 2012.
- X. Yu, A. M. Khambadkone, H. Wang, and S. Terence, ―Control of parallel-connected power converters for lowvoltage microgrid—Part I: A hybrid control architecture,‖ IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2962– 2970, Dec. 2010.
- S. K. Khadem, M. Basu, and M. F. Conlon, ―A new placement and integration method of UPQC to improve the power quality in DG network,‖ in Proc. 48th UPEC, vol. 1. Sep. 2013, pp. 1–6.
- T. Jimichi, H. Fujita, and H. Akagi, ―Design and experimentation of a dynamic voltage restorer capable of significantly reducing an energy-storage element,‖ IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 817–825, May/Jun. 2008.
- M. Basu, S. P. Das, and G. K. Dubey, ―Comparative evaluation of two models of UPQC for suitable interface to enhance power quality,‖ Electr. Power Syst. Res., vol. 77, no. 7, pp. 821–830, 2007.
- J. Nielsen, F. Blaabjerg, and N. Mohan, ―Control strategies for dynamic voltage restorer compensating voltage sags with phase jump,‖ in Proc. 16th APEC, vol. 2. 2001, pp. 1267–1273.