Author : Athira C 1
Date of Publication :7th September 2016
Abstract: This paper describes about grid connected doubly fed induction generator that can be used for wind power applications. The sources of most of our power, natural gas and coal, produce large quantities of greenhouse gases, but wind energy is pollution free and negligible greenhouse Gases. Among all the available technologies for wind energy conversion systems (WECS), the doubly fed induction generator (DFIG) is most acceptable one, because it has got advantages like efficient power capture due to the variable speed operation, improved system efficiency and, most importantly, reduced converter rating. The main problem which is found in wind energy conversion system (WECS) is the power fluctuations in the grid due to varying nature and uncertainty of wind speed. For reducing these power fluctuations a topology of doubly fed induction generator with battery energy storage system has explained in this paper. The system mainly consist of a doubly fed induction generator, rotor side converter and a grid side converter. Control of these converters is done for controlling the power in the grid constant irrespective of the wind speed. To verify the validity of the discussed system for wind power applications Matlab/Simulink Software is applied and the results are discussed in this paper.
- H. Akagi and H. Sati, ―Control and performance of a doubly-fed induction machine intended for a flywheel energy storage system,‖ IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 109–116, January 2002.
- E. Bogalecka, ―Dynamics of the power control of double fed induction generator connected to the soft grid,‖ Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Ind. Electron., vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 509– 513, August 1993.
- T. Brekken and N. Mohan, ―A novel doubly-fed induction wind gen- erator control scheme for reactive power control and torque pulsation compensation under unbalanced grid voltage conditions,‖ IEEE PESC Conf Proc., vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 760 – 764, October 2003.
- N. M. T. Brekken and T. Undeland, ―Control of a doubly-fed induction wind generator under unbalanced grid voltage conditions,‖ Proc. Europe Conf. Power Electronics Applications, vol. 57, no. 5, p. 15901598, September 2005.
- T. Brekken and N. Mohan, ―Control of a doubly-fed induction wind generator under unbalanced grid voltage conditions,‖ IEEE Trans. on Energy Conv., vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 129–135, March 2007.
- W. Hofman and F. Okafor, ―Optimal control doubly fed full controlled induction wind generator with high efficiency,‖ IEEE IECON Conf Proc., vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 123–1218, August 2001.
- Y. S. K. J. I. Jang and D. C. Lee, ―Active and reactive power control of dfig for wind energy conversion under unbalanced grid voltage,‖ IPEMC Shanghai, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 1487–1491, August 2006.