Author : Megha S. Joy 1
Date of Publication :7th September 2016
Abstract: According to recent earthquake histories, damages and collapses in structures caused greater loss in life and property. So, it is very important to develop an alternate method to enhance the earthquake resistance of building by more realistic approaches to seismic retrofitting after examining the current building codes. The main aim of seismic retrofitting is increasing lateral strength, strength and ductility. Buckling restrained braces (BRBs) is used for retrofitting with the property to yield both in tension and compression and also increases strength and stiffness. This study presents, analysing G+6 storey RC building seismically retrofitted with BRBs having storey-height 3m for gravity and seismic loads for desired parameters such as storeydisplacement relation, base shear, inter storey drift etc. The configurations of BRB used in this study are inverted V, V bracing, cross, forward and backward diagonal configuration. The comparative study between building with and without BRBs is done.
- DiSarno L. , and Manfredi G.,” Seismic retrofitting with buckling restrained braces: Application to an existing non-ductile RC framed building”, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 30,2011; pp.1279–1297
- http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20051023/sp ectrum downloaded on 2015 October
- http://media1.snbcnews.com/j/newscms/2015_17 /995216 downloaded on 2015 October
- Deulkar W. N., Modhera, D., and Patil, S. “Buckling Restrained Braces for Vibration Control of Building Structure”, IJRRAS 4 (4),2010;pp:363-372
- DiSarno L. , and Manfredi G.,” Seismic retrofitting with buckling restrained braces: Application to an existing non-ductile RC framed building”, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 30 ,2011; pp.1279–1297