Author : S. Rama Maddileti 1
Date of Publication :7th October 2016
Abstract: In this paper presents a var compensation by a cascaded two-level H-Bridge VSI based multilevel static compensator (STATCOM) using SVPWM. The topology consists of two voltage source inverters are connected in cascaded through a 3-phase transformer. The benefit of this topology is that by maintaining asymmetric voltages at the dc capacitors of the inverters, the levels in the waveform of output voltage can be increases. This results power quality (PQ) improved. The main object of this paper is balancing the dc link capacitor voltages of multilevel inverters during balancing and unbalancing conditions. This controller is controlling inverter voltage in such a way that either ve sequence current flowing into the inverter is eliminated or reduces the unbalancing in the grid voltages. The performance of the control scheme during balanced and unbalanced conditions is analysed through MATLAB/SOMULINK.
- N. G. Hingorani and L. Gygyi, Under standing FACTS. De1hi, India: IEEE, 2001, Standard pub1ishers distributors.
- B. B1azic and I. Papic, “Improved D-Statcom contro1 for operation with unba1anced currents and vo1tages,” IEEE Trans. Power De1., vo1. 21, Jan. 2006.
- Y. Kawabata, N. Yahata,M. Horii, E. Egiogu, and T. Kawabata, “SVG using open winding transformer and two inverters,” in Proc., 35th Annua1 IEEE Power E1ectron. Specia1ists Conf., 2004.
- S. Ponna1uri, J. K. Steinke, P. Steimer, S. Reichert, and B. Buchmann, “Design comparison and contro1 of medum vo1tage STATCOM with nove1 twin converter topo1ogy,” in Proc., 35th Annu. IEEE Power E1ectron. Specia1ists Conf., 2004, pp. 2546–2550.
- N. V. Surendra Babu, D. Apparao, and B. G. Fernandes, “Asymmetrical dc 1ink vo1tage ba1ance of a cascaded two 1eve1 inverter based STATCOM,” in Proc., IEEE TENCON, 2010, pp. 483–488.
- H. Akagi, S. Inoue, and T. Yoshii, “Contro1 and performance of a transformer 1ess cascaded PWM STATCOM with star configuration,” IEEE Trans. Ind. App1., vo1. 43, no. 4, pp. 1041–1049, Ju1./Aug. 2007.
- Y. 1iu, A. Q. Huang, W. Song, S. Bhattacharya, and G. Tan, “Smallsigna1 mode1-based contro1 strategy for ba1ancing individua1 dc capacitor vo1tages in cascade mu1ti1eve1 inverter-based STATCOM,” IEEE Trans. Ind. E1ectron., vo1. 56, no. 6, pp. 2259–2269, Jun. 2009.
- C. Schauder and H. Mehta, “Vector ana1ysis and contro1 of advanced static VAR compensators,” in Proc. Inst. E1ect. Eng. C., Ju1. 1993, pp. 299–305
- A. K. Jain, A. Beha1, X. T. Zhang, D. M. Dawson, and N. Mohan, “Non1inear controllers for fast vo1tage regu1ation using STATCOMs,” IEEE Trans. Power De1., vo1. 21, no. 2, pp. 726–735,Apr. 2006.
- D. Ho1mes and T. 1ipo, “IEEE series on power engineering,” in Pu1se Width Modu1ation for Power Converters: Princip1es and Practice. Piscataway, NJ, USA: IEEE, 2003.